Trujillo. Mar. 30 (ANDINA)- The Chan Chan archaeological complex and its reconstruction works are being promoted through a photographic exhibition in Huanchaco resort. located in the province of Trujillo. La Libertad department.
The 110 Executing Unit in charge of the reconstrcution works said that the exhibition called 'Chan Chan comes alive' is composed of 16 photos and was installed near the pier so tourists and local bathers can be informed of this citadel and visit it.
The director of this executing unit. Cristobal Campana. pointed out that after its inauguration. students of different schools of the district of Huanchaco and some foreign tourists witnessed the exhibition.
Another goal of the exhibition that will last until April 5 is to 'generate a culture of continuous learning that will lead us to love our heritage and defend it against any threat.'
Campana added that images show part of the iconographic richness of ancient Peruvians. as well as conservation and restoration works executed from late 2006 in the citadel. which is part of the Cultural Heritage of Humanity.
Chan Chan. which is the largest Pre-Columbian city in South America. is located in the Peruvian region of La Libertad. five km west of Trujillo; covering an area of approximately 20 km².
The archaeological site was constructed by the Chimor (kingdom of the Chimú). around AD 850 and lasted until its conquest by the Inca Empire in AD 1470. It was the imperial capital of the Chimor until it was conquered in the 15th century. It is estimated that around 30.000 people lived in the city of Chan Chan.